Haha, Eliza who? Yes, in the gap between my last post and this one, I’ve had a baby girl who is now 11 months old. Having just survived Christmas, I’m now immediately gearing up for her first birthday at the beginning of February.
Having a daughter has been so inspiring—she is definitely my little muse! I’ve actually managed to make her quite a lot of things with my limited spare time. As many do this time of year, I’m trying to examine how I’ve been balancing my life, and I have recognized that I need to pull back a bit and spend some more of my energy on myself. That will largely take the form of losing my baby weight and working towards recapturing my pre-baby fitness level, re-engaging with my garden this year, and breathing new life into this old blog. Still, I’ll probably be talking about baby projects a lot!
So in this spirit, I’m trying to keep the birthday making list reasonable. I had originally planned to make her an outfit but found the most perfect birthday Baby Boden shirt on eBay. Whoever designed it must have been looking at a cupcake. To top it off, I’ve made her a special felt party hat to coordinate using the Prettiest Party Hats pattern by Alicia Paulson, with some changes: I’ve restricted the color palette to compliment the shirt and omitted the sequins and beads. I also made more flowers, sewing them up the sides of the hat instead of just around the brim; the centers are felt pom-poms cut in half. The crowning pom-pom was made with some leftover yarn in my stash. The numeral “1” has been blanket stitched to the medallion rather than sewn on with the beads and sequins.
A few tips for anyone wishing to make one (or a reminder to my future self if I make more): my felt shrank when I fused the interfacing to it. It would be a bit annoying, but I think I’d fuse the interfacing first, then cut out the hat front. I also found it helpful to hand baste the side of the hat. I used embroidery floss in the same color as the hat front (in case small bits were left when I removed it—it wouldn’t show that way) and first basted the front and back together to keep the lining from slipping. I had also tacked it with Fabri-Tac but found that I needed a little more than the glue was offering me. I then basted the side seam and started blanket stitching it. Towards the top, I needed to take my side basting stitches out and redo them to get a better, tighter fit. This worked well for me. To make the holes in the lining for the elastic cord, I used the smallest punch size on my screw hole punch. Worked like a charm.
I’m also planning to finish a knitted teddy bear, knit her a pretty sweater to coordinate with a bonnet I bought her for Christmas, make her cake, and maybe sew her a baby-sized backpack for summer adventures. More on these later!