My inspiration: I came across the picture to the right sometime last winter and really responded to the use of blanket stitch and cross stitch in simply but beautifully embellishing the basic silhouette of this child's dress from Bonpoint. I knew I would use this picture as inspiration for something sized for me.
As luck would have it, Grainline Studio already had a pattern and sewing tutorial for altering their Scout Tee into a shape inspired by a popular denim shirt from clothing company Madewell. That shape, seen above, created a neckline very similar to the one I liked from the Bonpoint dress. A plan was hatched.
Following Grainline Studio's alteration instructions, I raised the neckline of my shortened Scout Tee front pattern piece and created the notch in the front. I omitted the cuffed sleeves and stuck with my own lengthened originals. I do, however, intend to add cuffed sleeves to the two other Scout Tees I'm planning.
The notched front was a bit tricky. I ended up doing it three times. Unfortunately, the second time looked the best! Patient ironing while turning the bias binding seems to be the key so hopefully my future attempts will look more professional. However, I'm not bothered too terribly much since that section is embroidered anyway.
Which brings me to my embroidery samples. At the time of my illustration I was planning to use the same color scheme as the Bonpoint dress. When I arrived at go-time, I wasn't sure anymore. So I hemmed a strip of fabric to practice. I was planning on test driving several color schemes and some various configurations but ended up stopping after three: all black, the originally planned red and blue, and neon pink. I preferred the high contrast of the black and so moved forward with a monochromatic scheme in DMC #310, using three strands (I soaked it overnight to be sure no dye would bleed when washed).
For the sleeves, hem, and the blanket stitch neckline, I just free-handed everything. When I got to the larger neckline motif, I had to slow down.
I pinned the shirt down to a cardboard cutting mat and traced the perimeter of the neckline onto some medical paper (which is what I use for altering patterns). I then spent an evening laying out a design I had played with on my embroidery swatch.
This I pinned to the shirt, itself still pinned to the cardboard, and transferred my design with red carbon paper (rubs off easily and any residual marks are designed to wash out of fabric). I then embroidered over my transferred marks. To keep a neat appearance in the front, I used a separate piece of my floss for each diamond, otherwise you would be able to see black lines running between the diamonds (found that out the hard way and backtracked).
This was labor intensive but I love the result! I'll be getting a ton of use out of this beautiful and very unique piece.